Ceramic Artist - Portland, Or
Born to immigrant parents in Miami Florida, Maya grew up in a mixed culture filled to the brim with Cuban and Trinidadian food, music, dance, and most importantly an appetite for creative expression and travel. They moved to the PNW after spending a three month ceramic arts residency, elbow deep in the terra cotta hills of Driving Creek Railway and Potteries in Coromandel, New Zealand.
Continuing a practice in ceramics, Maya now resides in Portland Oregon. Their ceramic sculptures have been featured in an array of local Portland galleries, including venues in association with NCECA (The National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts). In addition to being an active member at Radius Community Art Studio, they are currently Co-Director of ORI Gallery. Whose mission is to redefine "the white cube" through amplifying the voices of Queer and Trans Artists of color, community organizing and mobilization through the arts.
The impetus for making comes from the ways in which I perceive the world. I tend to get fixated on details, textures and movement of objects. Particularly, if they are fixed objects that have the appearance of motion. My work captures the textures from flora, mineral and the human body, re-translating these motifs into newly invented forms that are alive, sensual and dynamic. Through these textures, I explore concepts of race, identity and gender as filtered through my own experience as a queer person of color. Through push, pull & mark making within clay, I sculpt with shadow and light as an exploration of the senses, creating folds, complexity and narrative. I believe that the beautiful, carnal and heartbreaking nature of clay, is a direct reflection of the human experience.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts : Ceramics - 2013
- Bachelor of Arts : Graphic Design - 2013
- Flagler College, St. Augustine Fl.
Future Exhibitions/ Events
March 15, 2018 - NCECA’s 52nd Annual Conference: CrossCurrents: Clay and Culture - Panel Discussion - "New Queers Eve: LGBT Clay" - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Oct 3, 2017 - Jan 6, 2018 - Solo: "Radical Emergence: Dissected & Articulated" - Chehalem Cultural Center - Newberg, Oregon
Past Exhibitions / Events
- Sep 15, 2017 - Portland Institute for Contemporary Art - T:BA:17 - Workshop - "Asking for a Diaspora" - New Expressive Works - Portland, Oregon
- Aug 6 - 27, 2017 - Group: "LA Artcore 3rd Annual Art Competition & Exhibition" - LA Artcore - Los Angeles, California. (Jurors: Jacki Apple, Tulsa Kinney & Peter Shire)
- Aug 4 - 25, 2017 - Solo: "Beauty in Fragility" - ANX Gallery - Portland, Oregon
- June 9 - July 2, 2017 - Group: "Fabriqué" - ANX Gallery - Portland, Oregon
- May 20 - July 24, 2017 - Group: "4th Annual Living Mark Exhibition" - Verum Ultimum Gallery - Portland, Oregon
- May 4 - 25, 2017 - Solo: "Black: Dissected & Articulated" - UNA Gallery - Portland, Oregon
- March 3 - 31, 2017 - NCECA’s 51st Annual Conference : Future Flux - Group: "Radius" - Rising Room Gallery - Portland, Oregon
- Feb 2 - 28, 2017 - Group: "RESIST" - UNA Gallery - Portland, Oregon
- Sep 2016 - Group: "Emerging Artists" *Awarded Best in Show - 3D work* - Columbia Center for the Arts - Hood River, Oregon
- April 2013 - Group: "Curated Unknowns 2": Art Center Sarasota - Sarasota, Florida
- April 2013 - Group: Crisp Ellert Museum- St. Augustine, Florida
- March 2013 - Group: "Capture: International Video Art Exhibit" - Crisp Ellert Museum - St. Augustine, Florida
- Dec 2012 - Group: Crisp Ellert Museum- St. Augustine, Florida
- Jan - April 2014 - Artist in Residence: Driving Creek Railway & Potteries - Coromandel, New Zealand